In a few days we will celebrate Thanksgiving. Historically, It is a day set aside to show how thankful we are. Families and friends will gather to eat, reminiscence, and watch football. It is the one-day we set aside to show our appreciation for all we have been given. I love Thanksgiving, but it should not be limited to one day. We should have an attitude of gratitude everyday.
The older I get, the more I realize the importance of the little things that are right in front of me to appreciate all year long. With that in mind, I decided to use my blog as a platform to express my gratitude. So, once again, as we celebrate Thanksgiving, this uniquely American holiday, here is the list of blessings for which I am thankful in 2012.
I’m Thankful For The Mars Hill Baptist Church of Chicago
The enemy always tempts us to look at the glass as half-empty. Rather, it is a good discipline to consider how that cup is actually overflowing. Every pastor has the temptation to get discouraged or frustrated working with people… just as every congregation has the temptation to get discouraged or frustrated working with their pastor. However, the joy of pastoring far outweigh the frustrations.
Here’s why I’m thankful:
- I’m thankful for the local church and still believe that it’s the hope of the world.
- I’m thankful that my church hangs around and talks long after the worship service is over.
- I’m thankful that my church expects & anticipates Scripture to be opened and explained.
- I’m thankful that my church members have developed friendship that extends well-beyond Sunday morning.
- I’m thankful for the way I’ve seen God work, in my life and the lives of others – in big ways and small.
- I’m thankful for the worship team who lead us into worship each week, not for a big performance or to focus attention on their own musical talents, but to give glory to God and help us do the same
- I’m thankful that God planned all of this – that He brought a small, faithful group to plant this church 49 years ago
That’s my list (or at least part of the list…there are so many more). What about you? What are you thankful for?
Download Your FREE Guide
Once you click the link in the Confirmation email, you FREE guide will download immediately.